Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chunky and Spicy Applesauce

Last week we went apple picking. I guess we got a little over excited because we returned with a whooole lotta apples. Good thing I loooove applesauce! Seriously. This one time I tried to bring my favorite applesauce through airport security and it got confiscated. My mom put up a fight with the TSA officers, but alas my applesauce did not make it home to Houston.

Well anyways. . .here's a delicious recipe (influenced by epicurious):

What you'll need:
About 6 medium sized apples, cored, chopped, and 3 of them peeled* (I used a mix of pink ladies, macintosh, and granny smith apples. I would recommend using a variety, but if you've only got one type that works too)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups of water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp honey


*Note: Ali G had the great idea of keeping the skin on some of the apples. I think this really added to the wonderful flavor and texture of the applesauce. Of course, you can do without the skin if you don't wanna get in those extra vitamins.

How to make it:
Combine apples, lemon juice, and water in a big, heavy pot, and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium, and add in the cinnamon sticks. Cover the pot for about 20 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Remove cinnamon sticks. Uncover, and mix the ingredients frequently for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick. If the mixture is too chunky for you, feel free to mash it a bit with a potato masher. Stir in the sugar, honey, and spices. If you like your sauce a bit sweeter or spicier, feel free to play with the measurements 
(I would just be careful with the nutmeg which has a really strong flavor in small doses).  If you like your applesauce hot (yummm), serve it immediately! If you're a weirdo and you don't, stick it in the fridge to cool off.

Makes about 6 servings.







Much Love, Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment